Thank you for attending the 5th ONTransfer.ca Day!
February 25th, 2019 | DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, downtown Toronto
February 2019 marked ONCAT’s 5th ONTransfer.ca Day, bringing administrators from 45 colleges and universities across the province to Toronto to discuss the technical aspects of credit transfer, and share tools and resources. This year’s theme was ‘The Art and Science of Credit Transfer’, in which we explored promising practices, operational successes, and the art of advising transfer students. Recipients of our inaugural Transfer Awards of Excellence were also announced at the event.
A reoccurring theme that emerged was around the transition to electronic, automated assessment, as touched on in the plenary panel by Elizabeth Kelly, Transfer Credit Coordinator, George Brown College. A deeper dive into George Brown’s experience was taken in breakout session A3: “Operationalizing Transfer through System Design”, led by Tracy and Lidia. Additionally, breakout session B1: “University Transfer Policy Panel” shone a light on navigating University administrative and governance processes in the creation of transfer pathways.
On the student experience end, inclusion of transfer credits (assessed or eligible) in initial offer letters was a best practice highlighted by a number of institutions. Similarly, breakout sessions A1: “Transfer Advising Panel” featured multiple institutions in a discussion on building strong relationships to better support transfer students, including both outbound and inbound advising.
Learn more about all the presentations below.
Panel: The Art and Science of Credit Transfer
An exploration of promising practices, data management, operational success stories from Ontario colleges and universities. The panel will address topics such as:
- Efficient assessments
- Information systems, successes and challenges
- Integrating transfer students into enrolment
- Identifying transfer students and leveraging data
Moderator: Craig Chipps, Manager, Canadian Student Recruitment, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Chiara Filicetti, Student Mobility Advisor, Humber College
- Elizabeth Kelly, Transfer Credit Coordinator, George Brown College
- Marney Leclerc, Pathway Development Officer, Nipissing University
- Kaitlin Marriott, Coordinator, Partnerships and Pathways, Huron University College (at Western)
- Andrew Wilson, Assistant Director, Transfer & Transitions, York University
Leveraging the Power of Networks
In this workshop, participants will explore the power and potential of networks to amplify their work and build Ontario’s transfer system. We will discuss 3 surprisingly simple principles and a few key practices and tools to nurture effective and impactful networks.
Facilitator: Lisa Watson, Co-founder, Openly
Block A 1:15-2pm
A1 – Transfer Advising Panel
Advising experts will provide an overview of the various support systems available to students at their respective colleges and universities. Themes such as how we can build stronger relationships and systems across institutions to better support students will be discussed.
Moderator: Judy Tavares, Manager, Student Transfer Services, Humber College
- Victoria Baker, Manager, Degree and Credit Transfer, Seneca College
- David Adam Baker, Business Intelligence Analyst, Pathways Coordinator, Fleming College
- Wes Lindinger, Pathways Advisor, University of Guelph
A2 – About the Transfer Advisor Group (TAG)
The Transfer Advisor Group (TAG) officially launched in October 2017. TAG offers networking opportunities through learning and knowledge sharing activities for those working with transfer students across Ontario. Facilitated by the Groups co-chairs, this interactive session will summarize what TAG has accomplished so far and the exciting next steps as the Group continues to build momentum.
Presenter: Micheline Demers, Pathway Officer, Canadore College, presentation
- Andrew Wilson, Assistant Director, Transfer and Transitions, York University
- Carolyn Poplak, Project Lead: Collaborations and Community Programs, ONCAT
A3 – Operationalizing Transfer Credit Through System Development
In this session, we will explore how our online Transfer Credit Application as well as the administrative forms, reports and communication tools are used to support the automation and centralization of the transfer credit processes. Operationalizing our Transfer Credit systems is an ongoing journey, and we continue to provide enhancements, training & support. This will also include a demo of the student and evaluator application process.
Moderator: Sonia Chwalek, ONCAT
Presenters: Sara Collette, Manager Business Process Integration, and Lidia Pirraglia, George Brown College
Block B 2:25-3:10pm
B1 – University Transfer Policy Panel
This panel will provide an overview of various transfer policies and practices at three Ontario universities. Areas such academic governance and pathway articulation in the university system will be explored.
Moderator: Yvette Munro, Executive Director, ONCAT
- Julie Parna, Director, Academic Programs and Policy, York University
- Alice Miller, University Registrar, University of Windsor
- Luciana Vaduva, Senior Academic Policy Officer, University of Ottawa
B2 – The Evolution of ONCAT’s Identity – Where We Started and Where We’re Going
From creating new logos and the re-launch of the ONCAT corporate website, to the redevelopment of the ONTransfer.ca website, this session will walk participants through the evolution of ONCAT’s identity. Included will be an overview of the corporate site, including some of the new features, a walk-through of ONTransfer.ca, and what’s next for the student site.
- Lia Quickert, Strategic Communications and Public Affairs Director
- Shauna Love, Operations Director
- Rose Chan, ONTransfer.ca Manager